Monday, October 22, 2012

Week 1 Observation

A few mintutes after I set up my MicroAquarium, I placed it under a microscope and took a look at what was going on at a microscopic level. I observed some very fast organisms, that were moving to fast for me to identify them with my microscope. After moving my objective around the tank for a few mintutes, I settled in a focused at the bottom of the tank, where there was some sediments. I noticed a lot more activity down at the bottom, and I was able to focus in on a few organisms that were slow enough.
 I was able to identify a few Daphina sp. which is a microscopic organism that looks like a shrimp. According to the National Institute of Health website, a Daphina sp. is a micro-crustacean and is also referred to as a water flea. Next week I look forward to using a digital camera microscope and getting some good photos of what organisms I find in my tank. See you next week!
Sources:
-"Daphina" National Institute of Health. 2012 http://nih.gov/science/models/daphina/
- Daphina sp. Photo - Todd J. Williams (coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment